Android is a great mobile OS, but it has a few vulnerabilities when it comes to the privacy and security of your data. Thatís why itís so important to get a VPN for your Android device.
A VPN is a program that encrypts your online traffic and routes it through a proxy, making you more anonymous and more secure when you browse. Both of these features are super important for Android users. Hereís why:
- Mobile devices are more vulnerableOne of the most dangerous places where cyber crime can occur is on public wifi networks. Connecting to unsecured wifi at an airport or cafe exposes your device to an open or easily hackable connection that any enterprising hacker can monitor or even alter.
When we travel, using these connections can sometimes be inevitable. Youíre far from home and outside of your service range, but you still want to stay connected with everyone back home. To make sure you stay safe while you connect, use a VPN for Android. A VPN will encrypt your traffic so that even if a hacker has compromised the public wifi youíre using, they wonít be able to monitor or change any of your traffic.
- Use your favorite sites and servicesSome of your favorite sites or services may change or even completely shut down depending on your location. Itís called geo-restriction, and it can be hard to detect if you usually use those services at home. If you get back to the hotel after a long day of sightseeing or business meetings, all youíll want is to relax with your favorite show – only to find that you canít stream it because youíre too far from home!
Fortunately, thereís a way around this. In addition to encrypting your traffic, VPN services can also route your traffic through another server. Most services offer a wide range of countries to choose from, and theyíll most likely include the one youíre from as well. When youíre travelling abroad, simply set your VPN service to connect from your country of origin and every website and service you visit will think youíre home!
How to choose a VPN for Android
There are plenty of VPNs out there that support Android, so picking the right one is tricky. Here are a few tips that will help you make the right choice.
- A free VPN isnít worth it: It may seem like an attractive solution, but a free VPN is never worth it, and will usually leave you less secure than before. Thatís because with a free VPN, youíre the product, not the customer. It might inject ads into the websites you visit or the apps you use, or it will sell your data to any third parties who want it. Some free VPNs have even been caught selling their usersí bandwidth using their apps. Yikes!Paid VPNs, on the other hand, are accountable to their customers. Theyíll have professional teams of developers constantly updating their software and will focus on creating a competitive product that will keep your Android secure. Given all of the competition in the field, a paid VPN wonít be expensive!
- Get a VPN that embraces Android: Your VPN shouldnít just be compatible with android, it should have a great Android app that is easy to use and works well. Look for an intuitive interface and clear design.
- How many devices does it support?: Get more bang for your buck by getting a VPN that supports multiple devices. That way, you can protect more than just your Android device. Install it on your laptop, your home computer, and even on your significant otherís devices!
- Look for dedication to security: A VPN that really focuses on security will have additional features that help you maximize your security and anonymity when you need it. These include Tor browser integration, multiple encryption levels, and cyber security plugins that go above and beyond the basic functionality of a VPN.