Experts will tell you that Search Engine Optimization is a sustained and long term exercise. Ideally, you should embark on improving your search engine rankings by bringing together a holistic and strong strategy that will involve:
- Market analysis.
- Competitor analysis.
- Checking out what people are saying about your brand on various online forums.
- Assessing your social media presence and so on.
Having said that, it is also true that you can improve your SEO rankings quickly by investing in a few important things.
How healthy is your site?
Your website is picked up by search engines only when it has met a few ‘criteria’ and algorithms. True, these algorithms change every now and then but if your website is made of great quality then it will stand the test of time.
Some of the important things that you need to ensure:
- Use Webmaster Tools to monitor your website.
- Keeping it updated which will also include content and the number of times that your URL is submitted or downloaded.
- Incoming links that will be a key indicator of the traffic coming into your website.
- Removing broken links on your website.
- Using judicious keywords too.
Creating and publishing great quality content and doing so in a continuous manner is one of the best ways in which you can boost your website’s visibility. You should ensure that your content has:
- Longer articles which are informed, original and well written.
- Only the optimum number of keywords – stay away from stuffing your articles with keywords especially the grammatically incorrect ones!
- A mix of information – videos, original images, infographics and so on.
- Been updated constantly.
The simplest and yet most profound rule that you can keep in mind is “Write not for the search engines but for your customers (or readers)”.
Ease of use
Your website should be smooth and easy to use for every visitor who lands on it. This will mean:
- Fabulous navigation so that users can find what they are looking for in the quickest manner possible.
- Error free condition – there should be no errors such as “Page Not Found” or people landing on the wrong products when they click links and so on.
- Your website having all relevant contact details as well.
It is also a great idea for you to invest in responsive web design since more and more people are using their smartphone and handheld devices to access content online. The use of mobile apps is something that you should keep in mind as well. Indeed, if it is worth the investment and effort you should develop your own native mobile apps as well.
This is a tricky area. Some Search Engine Optimization experts might tell you to buy links. Other experts will say that you should earn links. The point to keep in mind is that the quality of links will impact your website’s rankings. So if you have bought links from a site that is of poor quality then these links will lower your ranking. Therefore, you should monitor the links that are sending traffic to your website on a regular basis. It is also a great idea to earn your inbound links.
You have to come up with a set of keywords that makes sense as far as your website is concerned. Once you have this set of keywords, ensure that:
- You do not stuff your content with these keywords mindlessly. The keywords should be a natural fit in your content.
- Your website has key phrases as well. For instance, people may not search for “cheap wristwatches” but they may enter the search term “cheap wristwatches in Nebraska” or even “cheap watches for men online shopping”.
Your keyword or words should also figure in:
- Title Tag.
- Image File Names and ALT Tags.
- Meta description.
- Page URL as well.
Your website should load – on any device – in super quick time. In fact, Google pays close attention to page load speed in its ranking process. Some of the things that you can do to speed up this component:
- Optimize your images.
- Use clean code to create all components of your website.
- Keeping it free of bugs of all kinds.
- Keep the number of plug ins to a bare minimum too.
There are quite a few tools that can help measure your site’s load speed. Research shows that most people will leave a website if it is taking too long to load. This obviously means loss of business and loss of rankings too.
Once you have produced fabulous content, you should also propagate it across relevant social media. Use social bookmarking sites that can pick up your content and push it to a larger audience. Your website will benefit from social sharing buttons in a big way indeed.
Steady focus on the above important facets will bring a huge boost to your SEO rankings in short frame of time.